Una visita al Instituto geográfico nacional en Creil-Francia en julio de 1985 – A visit to the National Geographic Institute in Creil-France in July 1985

Translation in english available at the bottom

Si les presento este reportaje sobre el Instituto Geográfico Nacional (IGN) en Francia es más para recordar sus operaciones con el venerable Boeing B-17 y también el Hurel Dubois HD 34.


El IGN fue instituido por decreto del 26 de junio de 1940 pero la ocupación alemana fue una época bien difícil para esta institución. Igual el IGN participó en operaciones no solo relacionadas con su función primera de cartografía sino que, teniendo expertos en este rulo y caligrafías y además teniendo el material necesario, produjeron documentos falsos para la resistencia francesa. Además, ingenieros mantenían contactos con los servicios de inteligencias en Londres.
Muchos de ellos fueron fusilados o murieron en combates contra el enemigo.
Al finalizar la segunda guerra mundial, el Instituto está incorporado al ministerio de obras públicas (de Fomento) y en 1947 inicia sus grandes labores de cubrir la totalidad de Francia así como todos los territorios dependientes tal como África del Norte, África Occidental, Madagascar, los Estados asociados de Indochina y los departamentos y territorios de Ultra Mar, es decir más de 12 millones de km2.
La independencia de estas ex colonias francesas resultó en una cooperación con los organismos y servicios nacionales de estos países
Las actividades del IGN fuera de Francia se desarrollaron más por su participación en grandes proyectos geodésicos, por ejemplo en 1975 en Ecuador, 1979 en Libia o 1981 en Arabia Saudita y también trabajos de cartografías en África.

Es en 1947, junto con el traslado de la escuadrilla de aviones asía la base aérea de Creil (unos 45 km al norte de Paris), que llegan cuatros Boeing B-17 que remplazaron los 8 bombarderos convertidos LeO45.
Al final el instituto llego a operar 14 Boeing Flying Fortress hasta finales de los años 80.
También, el instituto incorporó a su flota 2 Junkers 52 para apoyos logísticos y transportes entre Francia, África del Norte y también Madagascar.
Hasta su retiro a finales de los años 80, el Boeing B-17 fue el único avión capaz de cumplir con las diversas misiones efectuadas por el IGN: fotografías aéreas, telemetría, apoyos logísticos del C.N.E.S. en Kourou, calibración de las estaciones de seguidos de los satélites, observación del cielo nocturno, estudio de ionización de la atmósfera y más.

Además, contaba con 8 Hurel-Dubois HD-34 que fueron retirados del servició en 1986.
También se utilizó un Alouette II, unos Aero Commander, un Fokker F-27 y dos Dassault Mystère 20.
La flota actual está constituida por 4 Beechcraft Super King Air 200T con base en Beauvais-Tillé.

En julio de 1985, tuve la oportunidad de visitar el IGN en su base de Creil, con la intensión de fotografiar los últimos 2 B-17 aún estacionados.

En el hangar de mantenimiento estaba el B-17G-100-VE con matrícula F-BEEA.


Este avión con el serial number 44-85643 fue entregado a la USAAF el 15 de junio de 1945, incorporándose a la flota del Instituto Geográfico el 10 de diciembre de 1947 con el código F-20 siendo este la referencia de la escuadrilla /grupo 20 del IGN.
Totalizó cerca de 11179 horas de vuelos con esta institución tanto en Francia como en África Occidental, África Ecuatorial, África del Norte y Madagascar. También participó en 1963 a una misión con el CNRS en Reikiavik, Islandia. En 1967 estuvo en Nueva Guinea para trabajos de magnetometría y en 1967 se trasladó a Libia y Marrueco.
Y de nuevo hasta 1976, trabajos de fotografiase aéreas tanto en Francia como en el continente africano.
Tal como podemos ver en las fotos que acompañan esta presentación, recibió su nombre de bautizo “Chateau de Verneuil” siendo el único en recibir un nombre.


La razón es la siguiente: En 1969 en plena guerra civil en Biafra, el F-BEEA se vio en la situación de sobre volar este territorio afines de cumplir con unas de sus misiones en el continente de África.
Para no ser confundido con un avión militar se tomó la decisión de pintar el avión con una decoración bien visible, logos del IGN y la mención “Service des Activités Aériennes” (Servicio de las Actividades Aéreas) y también un logo IGN en la cola del avión.
La matrícula fue pintada a las medidas de las utilizadas para los Sud Aviation Caravelle de Air France y por fin un mecánico del IGN le puso su nombre “Chateau de Verneuil” en relación a un edificio en ruina cerca de las pistas de la base de Creil.


Con los años el bombardero recibió franjas azules en su fuselaje y pinturas blancas en la parte superior de este mismo.
Siendo el ultimo avión de su tipo aún en operación, este B-17 efectuó misiones en los Países Bajos en 1980, Irlanda en 1986 y en 1987 en Inglaterra y Finlandia.
Pero en 1989, mientras participaba en la filmación de la película sobre la historia del B-17 Memphis Belle, el avión se accidentó al despegue luego de unas posibles fallas y falla de potencias en el motor n°3 provocando la pérdida de control del avión y su destrucción completo por incendio. De las 10 persones a bordo, 2 resultaron con heridas de consideraciones y 3 otras con heridas leves.
Por lo menos 6 Boeing B-17 participaban en este proyecto de filmación y 3 fueron en un tiempo propiedad del IGN.
El mencionado F-BEEA pero también los B-17G “44-8846” con matrícula francesa F-AZDX y perteneciendo a Forteresse Toujours Volante, el bien conocido B-17G 44-85784 B-BEDF “Sally B” y para tomas estáticas, el B-17G 44-83735 del Imperial War Museum.

El Boeing B-17G-85-VE n° de seria 44-8846, F-AZDX fue el segundo bombardero que estaba presente en Creil y el que pude abordar para mi toma de fotos.


Su historia es bien singular y a continuación les quiero desarrollar sus operaciones en la segunda guerra mundial y con el Instituto Geográfico.
Este avión fue entregado a la USAAF el 13 de enero de 1945 como modelo B-17G-85-VE y participó en 6 misiones de guerra con el escuadrón de bombardero 511/grupo de bombardero n°351, cumpliendo su última misión el 20 de abril de 1945.
Si por la mayoría de estas misiones los objetivos fueron estaciones de clasificaciones, la del 9 de abril de 1945 fue la fábrica Dornier en los suburbios de Múnich.

Luego, pasó al escuadrón de reconocimiento n°45 con base en Alemania y finalmente volvió a los EE.UU donde siguió en operación con la USAF hasta 1954. En diciembre de 1954 lo compro el IGN y recibió su primera matrícula francesa F-BGSP. Participó en varias misiones fotográficas de por el mundo y entre estas en 1971, trabajos de levantamiento aerofotogramétrico en la zona austral de Chile por cuenta de la empresa alemana Salzgitter AG.
También participación en filmaciones de películas de los cuales una de las más renombradas es “la Grande Vadrouille”.
En 1985, Jean Salis firmó con el Instituto un acuerdo de compra y el bombardero fue incorporado en la colección de aviones de la asociación “Forteresse Toujours Volante” recibiendo la matrícula F-AZDX.


En 1989, participó con otros 5 B-17 (B-17G F-BEEA IGN, B-17G 44-85784 G-BEDF “Sally B” (ex IGN), B-17G 44-83546 N37036, B-17F 42-29782 N17W y B-17G 42-38133 IWM (ex IGN) como ejemplar estático) en las filmaciones de la película “Memphis Belle” llevando los sobrenombres “Mother and Country” por el lado izquierda y guardando el “Pink Lady” en el lado derecho. Unos cambios adicionales le dieron el aspecto de una versión B-17F


En marzo de 1988 con ayuda de su personal de mantenimiento y otros ayudantes voluntarios, el avión recibió las pinturas Olive Drab y Neutral Grey en homenaje a los numerosos Flying Fortress que llevaron estos camuflajes en la segunda guerra mundial.
Es de saber que en los últimos tiempos del conflicto, los aviones que salían de fábrica no llevaban más pinturas de camuflajes.

Lastimosamente dejó de volar en marzo de 2010 por necesidad de un programo de mantenimiento y sobretodo costos de seguros y escasez de pilotos con experiencia en este avión.
Esta guardado en uno de los hangares de la asociación en la Ferté–Alais.

La última vez que tuve la oportunidad de ver el Pink Lady fue en la edición 2003 de la feria internacional de le Bourget.


Sally B, un modelo B-17G-105-VE con matrícula G-BEDF y operando con B-17 Preservation Ltd es el único B-17 en estado de vuelo en Europa y fue también parte de la flota de Boeing Flying Fortress operando con el IGN.


Salió de la fábrica Lockheed Vega en Burbank y aceptado por la USAAF el 17 de junio de 1945, llevando el número 44-85784.
Fue llevado al centro de modificaciones en Nashville, Tennessee para su conversión en avión de prueba de equipamientos experimentales por un periodo de 4 años.
En 1950 fue convertido en un ETB-17G con equipamientos infrarrojos de seguimientos, colocados en capsulas de punta de alas para operar por más de 3 años en préstamo al General Electric Flight Center.
Al terminar el contrato con General Electric, el avión fue llevado el 7 de febrero de 1954 a la base aérea de Hill, Utah para el desmontaje de sus equipos y regreso a la configuración estándar.
Al terminar estos trabajos de talleres, el B-17 fue almacenado en la base aérea de Olmstead, Middletown hasta su retiro del servicio en octubre del mismo año luego de su venta al Instituto Geográfico el 31 del mismo mes, con matrícula F-BGSR y utilizado como plataforma para diversos estudios hasta su retiro en 1974 y venta a los señores Ted White y Don Bullock de Euroworld Limited.
En enero de 1975 recibió una matrícula americana N17TE y fue trasladado en marzo a Duxford Inglaterra. Recibió su sobre nombre Sally B en referencia a Ellinor “Elly” Sallingboe, compañero de muchos años de Ted White. Hace su primera presentación en el verano de 1975 en el Show aéreo de Biggin Hill llevando los colores del grupo de bombardero n°457.
El año siguiente tomó su matrícula inglesa G-BEDF, la que hasta el día de hoy está llevando.


En 1979 nace la empresa B-17 Limited con el fin de mantener y operar el B-17.
En 1982, Ted White uno de los 2 fundadores de B-17 Limited muere en un accidente aéreo mientras participaba en una concentración aérea (rally) en Malta.
Como homenaje, el capó del motor numero 3 lleva una pintura amarillo y negro en forma de tablero de damas, la que llevaba su T-6 Harvard G-ELLY.


En el invierno 1983-1984 recibe una nueva pintura Olive Drab-Neutral Grey y marcas del grupo de bombardero n°447, con el fin de proteger la célula.


En 1990, fue uno de los 6 Boeing Flying Fortress que participó en las filmaciones de la película “Memphis Belle” siendo utilizado como réplica del verdadero Memphis Belle.
Como lo pueden ver, el lado derecho lleva la mención Memphis Belle mientras que por el lado izquierda está presentado como Sally B.


El G-BEDF/Sally B es el único B-17 en condición de vuelo en Europa.
Desde su base en Duxford suele participar en festivales aéreos, conmemoraciones como recordatorio de la USAAF en Europa.

 

Quedándonos en Duxford otro B-17, quien fue compañero de flota del Sally B en Francia, es el modelo B-17G-35BO 42-38133 “Reluctan Dragon” en presentación estática en la sección American Air Museum del Imperial War Museum.


En realidad se trata del n° de seria 44-83735 que en sus años de operaciones con el IGN recibió la matrícula francesa F-BDRS.


Salió de las cadenas de producciones de la Douglas en Burbank para ser entregado a la USAAF el 18 de mayo de 1945. Fue parte del centenario de aviones B-17 entregados pero inutilizados debido al final del conflicto en Europa.
Igual si fue enviado al 4202 BU de Syracuse (Air Support Command) el 26 de septiembre fue solo para menos de 2 meses siendo puesto a la venta en noviembre de 1945. Una carrera militar bien corta para este avión.
Pero el 17 de febrero de 1947 y con solo 35 horas de vuelo en su bitácora, es comprado por la Transocean Airlines, una línea aérea con sede en Oakland, California recordada sobre todo por sus operaciones con el Boeing 377 Stratocruiser entre 1958 y 1960.
Siendo utilizado como avión ejecutivo por su director el capitán Nelson, este B-17G fue también arrendado por el Coronel Andres Soriano, un empresario de nacionalidad filipino y reputado por ser en su tiempo el hombre más rico del mundo.
Con matricula NL68269 voló por la mayoría de los 2 años que sirvió con Transocean entre San Francisco y Manila y también a través de los EE.UU.
Uno de sus vuelos más destacado fue una vuelta por el mundo saliendo desde San Francisco haciendo escalas en Honolulu, Wake Island, Guam, Manila, Bangkok, New Delhi, Karachi, El Cairo, Roma, Burdeos, París, Shannon, Keflavik, Gander, Nueva York y volviendo finalmente a su base de Oakland luego de 6 semanas de viaje.
En octubre de 1949 Transocean puso a la venta el avión, el cual fue comprado por una congregación religiosa llamada Assemblies of God Incorporated para el transporte de sus miembros, siendo utilizado hasta el 7 de noviembre de 1951 en la zona del pacifico.
La empresa Leeward Aeronautical con base en Fort Wayne, Indiana lo compró cambiando su matrícula a N68269. Pero 9 meses después recibe la matricula F-BDRS a nombre del IGN.
Su primera misión de estudio es en 1953 en …Indochina cuando este país está en plena guerra con Francia. Para eludir una requisición por parte de la Fuerza Aérea Francés, la tripulación logra escapar con el B-17 y volver a su base en Francia.
Participó en estudios en África y Madagascar pero también en Sud África, Noruega, Groenlandia, Bélgica. Su último vuelo fue con fecha 2 de febrero de 1972 totalizando 6808 horas en su bitácora de vuelo. Hasta mayo de 1974 el bombardero fue almacenado en una zona de la base y fue en este mes que se finalizó su venta, junto con el futuro Sally B, a la sociedad Euroworld.
Los dos aviones llegaron en vuelo a Duxford y el F-BDRS fue despojado de sus instrumentos y equipos aún en estados de operaciones y fueron cambiados por los fueran de servicios del Sally B.
El F-BDRS fue vendido al Imperial War Museum para su restauración y presentación como B-17G 42-38133 “Reluctan Dragon.

El Boeing B-17G-85-VE 44-8889 F-BGSO es el últimos Boeing B-17 ex IGN que tuve la oportunidad de ver. Compartió su ensamblaje en las cadenas de producción de Lockheed Vega con el 44-8846/ F-BGSP, es decir el Pink Lady.


Fue entregado a la USAAF el 27 de enero de 1945 y enviado a Europa en febrero del mismo año para su incorporación a la 8th Air Force. Es por este dato que muchas fuentes le prestan misiones de guerra pero en realidad fue almacenado hasta el final del conflicto.
Fue utilizado como avión de tomas fotográficas aérea pero no existe ningunas informaciones de su retorno a los EE.UU, siendo utilizado por el 10th HBE en Oberpffaffenhofen cerca de Múnich.
También existen datos de su operación con el escuadrón 7499 de reconocimiento en misiones secretas cerca de la Cortina de Hierro.
Terminando sus afectaciones en Europa, volvió a los EE.UU en 1954. El proyecto de convertirlo en un QB-17G radio guiado no se concretó y con un total de un poco más de 1544h, fue comprado por el IGN donde llego el 14 de agosto de 1954, inicialmente con matrícula americana N9642B.
Recibiendo su matrícula definitiva F-BGSO, una de sus primeras misiones fue en África y Argelia, también trabajó en Europa, en Bélgica entre otros con una matrícula provisoria OO-SPO y también en Alemania donde podría haber operado con la matrícula D-EGBE pero este dato no está confirmado. En resumen, por casi 20 años esta aeronave realizó trabajos de estudios en el continente africano, Guyana, Madagascar, Francia Arabia y Mediterránea, España, Java en Indonesia, Arabia Saudita y Libia, Etiopía, Irlanda y también el Atlántico.
Su último vuelo con el IGN lo realizó el 7 de junio de 1974 y llegó al Museo del Aire de le Bourget el 8 de septiembre de 1979 habiendo totalizado 6534 horas de vuelos.
La razón de su entrega al museo fue, tal como comentado en un parágrafo anterior, el error de considerar su participación en operaciones de guerras pero también el alza del petróleo (no olvidemos que estamos en los años 70-75).
Fue puesto en exposición estática en la losa del mueso pero fue víctima de robos de sus su panel de instrumentos, lo que resulto en su almacenaje en los hangares de refacciones del museo donde aún está guardado sin proyectos de restauración por falta de espacio. Esto contradice los rumores de su destrucción en un incendio ocurrido en 1990 o su desguazado por parte del IGN.
Para finalizar este capítulo sobre los B-17, 13 modelos G y un modelo F fueron inscritos en los registros de flota del Instituto Geográfico Nacional entre 1947 y 1987. 2 fueron víctimas de accidentes, el primero en Yaundé el 11 de marzo de 1949 cobrando la vida a sus 5 tripulantes, y el segundo en Niamey el 12 de diciembre de 1950 con 4 víctimas fatales y 2 con heridas de consideraciones. El tercero accidente fue con el F-BEEA mientras participaba en 1989 en la filmación de la película Memphis Belle.
5 fueron desguazados, 3 otros están en museos en Europa y EE.UU y 2 están en condiciones de vuelo el Sally B/ G-BDEF en Inglaterra y el Thunderbird/N900RW propiedad del Lone Star Flight Museum en Houston.
En cuanto al F-BGSP Lucky Lady o Pink Lady, su situación actual no es bien clara igual si está almacenado en uno de los hangares de Cerny-La Ferté Alais.

Igual si no es mi intención de presentarles el histórico de cada uno de estos aviones, es interesante de resumir el “recorrido” del F-BGOE: Es un B-17G-105-VE con n° de seria 44-85728 que fue entregado a la USAAF el 14 de mayo de 1945. En 1946 empieza su carrera civil, primero con la TWA con matricula NL1B y modelo B-299AB para su uso como transporte de pasajero y carga. En abril 1947 toma la matrícula EP-HIM luego de su compra por el emperador de Irán para su uso como avión ejecutivo.
El avión llego al IGN en julio de 1952 y su primera misión fue 2 años después, en Indochina.
Dejó de volar el 22 de agosto de 1967 y fue desguazado con un total de solo 3644 horas.

Otro avión que marco su presencia y sobre todo sus participaciones en operaciones de estudios aéreos con el Instituto Geográfico fue el Hurel-Dubois HD-34.


Hurel-Dubois construyo 8 modelos HD-34 y el IGN operó estas aeronaves especialmente adaptados para sus operaciones entre 1957 y 1986.
5 fueron desguazados, uno fue regalado al Club aéreo de Creil, otro fue entregado al Museo del Aire en Paris le Bourget y el último fue vendido el 6 de mayo de 1986 a la Asociación de los Mecánicos y Pilotos de Aeronaves pero con el alza de los seguros y el combustible este dejó de volar a partir de junio de 2003.
El proyecto del HD-34 es el resultado final de los estudios elaborados por Maurice Hurel y Joseph Dubois, el primero siendo especialista del concepto de alas con gran alargamiento, es decir un ala estrecha pero larga.
Comprobaron el diseño con un prototipo denominado HD-10 que voló por primera vez en 1948.


Luego, la Empresa Hurel-Dubois construyo 2 HD-32 con motores Pratt & Whitney R-1830-3 de 1200 caballos de potencia y ten de aterrizaje fijo.
En 1957, el IGN hizo el pedido de 8 HD-34, un modelo de fotografía y cartografía aérea con motores Wright Cyclone 982-C9-HE2 de 1525 caballos.
El diseño ofrecía una gran estabilidad de vuelo y autonomía de hasta 12 horas de vuelo, un aporte para los trabajos aéreos que desempeñada el Instituto a lo largo del mundo.
A su retiro de servicio en 1986 fueron reemplazados por 2 Dassault Mystère 20 y 4 Beech Super King Air 200.

En mi visita de 1985 la oportunidad me fue también presentada de visitar una de estas aeronaves.
Se trataba del F-BHOO, el primero de los 8 modelos HD-34 construidos que llego a la base del IGN el 17 de abril de 1958.


Sus misiones lo llevaron a Benín, África Occidental y del Norte, Kuwait, Libia, África Ecuatorial, las Antillas, Guyana, Egipto, Somalía, Francia, Congo Brazzaville, República Centroafricana, Zaire hasta su retiro y venta en mayo de 1986 a la Asociación de los mecánicos y pilotos de aeronaves antiguas con la cual participo en varias presentaciones aéreas, hasta su retiro definitivo en junio de 2003.

Una particularidad de estos aviones era sus controles de potencias de motores, mezclas y pasos de hélices bien diferentes de los que solemos encontrar en los aviones con motores alternativos.
En realidad y casi como lo tenemos en ciertos aviones de entrenamientos tipos Cessna o Piper, estos controles se desplazan hacia adelante o atrás en lugar de en curva de abajo hacia arriba tal como lo pueden observar en las siguientes fotos.

 

El segundo Hurel-Dubois que pude fotografiar fue el F-BICR, el n°4 en la cadena de producción de estos aviones. Fue puesto en servicio por el IGN el 17 de marzo de 1958 y participó también en varias operaciones en África pero también en Egipto, Beirut en Líbano así como el territorio francés.


Es justamente en una de sus misiones, a Egipto en 1964, que participó en un proyecto de filmación de la presa de Asuán y el proyecto de salvar el sitio del templo de Abou-Simbel antes de su desplazamiento y restauración.
En 1973, efectúa sus últimas misiones de trabajos en mediterránea y Marrueco y el 22 de junio de 1978 llegó en vuelo al museo del Aire en Le Bourget. Totalizaba 4898 horas de vuelo.

Michel Anciaux

Bibliografía
Además de haber podido contar con las informaciones de las siguientes fuentes, quiero destacar particularmente el trabajo de investigación realizado por flyingfortress.canalblog.com permitiéndome entregar los datos correspondientes a los aviones presentados en este reportaje.
wikipedia.org
b-17-flying-fortress.com
flyingfortress.canalblog.com
avions-de-la-guerre-d-algerie.over-blog.com
aerobuzz.fr/aviation-generale
Forteresse Toujours Volante
halfpint.canalblog.com
michaelmonfront.com
anciens-aerodromes.com
airbil.com
lecharpeblanche.fr
flyingfortress.canalblog.com
b17flyingfortress.d
flyinglegends.com
sallyb.org.uk
vernoeil.com/HUREL_DUBOIS_HD-34_DE_CREIL.html
ampaa.fr/les-avions-de-lampaa/hurel-dubois-34/
http://www.warbirdregistry.org/
deltareflex.com

Home


http://aviation-le-havre.over-blog.com/

If I present you with this report on the National Geographic Institute (IGN) in France, it is more to recall its operations with the venerable Boeing B-17 and also the Hurel Dubois HD 34.
The IGN was instituted by decree of June 26, 1940 but the German occupation was a very difficult time for this institution. Likewise, the IGN participated in operations not only related to its first mapping function but, having experts in this field and calligraphy and also having the necessary material, produced false documents for the French resistance. In addition, engineers maintained contacts with the intelligence services in London.
Many of them were shot or killed in fighting against the enemy.
At the end of the Second World War, the Institute is incorporated into the Ministry of Public Works and in 1947 begins its great work of covering all of France as well as all dependent territories such as North Africa, West Africa, Madagascar, the associated States of Indochina and the overseas departments and territories, that is to say more than 12 million km2
The independence of these former French colonies resulted in cooperation with the national agencies and services of these countries
IGN activities outside France were further developed by its participation in large geodetic projects, for example in 1975 in Ecuador, 1979 in Libya or 1981 in Saudi Arabia and also mapping work in Africa.
It is in 1947, along with the transfer of the squadron of airplanes to the Creil air base (about 45 km north of Paris), that four Boeing B-17 arrive to replace eight LeO45 converted bombers.
In the end, the institute came to operate 14 Boeing Flying Fortress until the end of the 80s.
In addition, the institute added 2 Junkers 52 to its fleet for logistics and transport support between France, North Africa and Madagascar.
Until its retirement at the end of the 80s, the Boeing B-17 was the only aircraft capable of fulfilling the various missions carried out by the IGN: aerial photographs, telemetry, logistic support of the C.N.E.S. in Kourou, calibration of the stations following the satellites, observation of the night sky, study of ionization of the atmosphere and more.
In addition, it had eight Hurel Dubois HD-34 that were removed from service in 1985.
An Alouette II, an Aero Commander, a Fokker F-27 and two Dassault Mystère 20 were also used.
The current fleet consists of four Beechcraft Super King Air 200T based in Beauvais-Tillé.
In July 1985, I had the opportunity to visit the IGN at its base in Creil, with the intention of photographing the last 2 B-17 still parked.
In the maintenance hangar was the B-17G-100-VE with registration F-BEEA .
This aircraft with serial number 44-85643 was delivered to the USAAF on June 15, 1945, joining the fleet of the geographical institute on December 10, 1947 with the code F-20 being this the reference of the squadron / group 20 of the IGN.
It totalized about 11179 hours of flights with this institution in both France and West Africa, Equatorial Africa, North Africa and Madagascar. In 1963, he also participated in a mission with the CNRS in Reykjavik, Iceland. In 1967, he was in New Guinea for magnetometry work and then, he moved to Libya and Morocco until the 70s
Again and until 1976, aerial photography works both in France and in the African continent.
As we can see in the photos that accompany this presentation, he received his christening name “Chateau de Verneuil” being the only one to receive a name.
The reason is as follows: In 1969, in the middle of the civil war in Biafra, the F-BEEA was in a situation of overflying this territory in order to fulfil some of its missions in the African continent.
In order not to be mistaken with a military plane, the decision was made to paint the plane with a very visible decoration, logos of the IGN and the mention “Service des Activités Aériennes” (Service of Air Activities) and an IGN logo on the tail of the airplane. The registration was painted to the measures used for the Sud Aviation Caravelle of Air France and finally an IGN mechanic named him “Chateau de Verneuil” in relation to a ruined building near the runways of the base of Creil.
Over the years, the bomber received blue stripes on its fuselage and white paints on top of it.
Being the last aircraft of its kind still in operation, this B-17 carried out missions in the Netherlands in 1980, Ireland in 1986 and in 1987 in England and Finland.

But in 1989, while participating in the filming of the movie about the history of the B-17 Memphis Belle, the plane crashed on take-off after possible failures and power failures in engine # 3 causing the loss of control of the plane and its complete destruction by fire. Of the 10 people on board, 2 resulted in serious injuries and 3 others with minor injuries.
At least six Boeing B-17 participated in this filming project and three were once owned by the IGN.
The aforementioned F-BEEA but also the B-17G “44-8846” with French registration F-AZDX and belonging to Forteresse Toujours Volante, the well-known B-17G 44-85784 G-BEDF “Sally B” and for static shots, the B-17G 44-83735 of the Imperial War Museum.

The Boeing B-17G-85-VE serial number 44-8846, F-AZDX was the second bomber that was present in Creil and the one that I could board for my photo shoot.
His history is unique and hereunder I want to develop his operations in the Second World War and with the Geographic Institute.
This aircraft was delivered to the USAAF on January 13, 1945 as a model B-17G-85-VE and participated in 6 war missions with the 511 bomber squad / bomber group No. 351, fulfilling its last mission on 20 April 1945.
If, for most of these missions, the objectives were sorting rail stations, the one on April 9, 1945 was the Dornier factory in the suburbs of Munich.
Then, he went to the No. 45 reconnaissance squadron based in Germany and finally returned to the US where he continued to operate with the USAF until 1954. In December 1954, he was bought by the IGN and received his first French registration F-BGSP. He participate in several photographic missions around the world and among these in 1971, aerial photography work in the southern part of Chile on behalf of the German company Salzgitter AG.He also participate in film shootings of which one of the most renowned is “la Grande Vadrouille”.
In 1985, Jean Salis signed a purchase agreement with the Institute and the bomber was incorporated into the “Forteresse Toujours Volante” association’s aircraft collection, receiving the F-AZDX registration.

In 1989, he participated, with other 5 B-17 (B-17G F-BEEA IGN, B-17G 44-85784 G-BEDF “Sally B” (ex IGN), B-17G 44-83546 N37036, B-17F 42- 29782 N17W and B-17G 42-38133 IWM (former IGN) as a static copy) in the filming of the movie “Memphis Belle” bearing the nicknames “Mother and Country” on the left side and keeping the “Pink Lady” on the ride side. Additional changes gave it the appearance of a B-17F version.
In March 1988, with the help of its maintenance staff and other volunteer assistants, the plane received the Olive Drab and Neutral Grey paintings in homage to the numerous Flying Fortress that carried these camouflages in World War II. It is to know that in the last times of the conflict, the planes that left the factory did not carry any more camouflage paintings.
Unfortunately, he stopped flying in March 2010 due to the need for a maintenance program and, above all, insurance costs and shortage of pilots with experience in this aircraft. It is stored in one of the hangars of the association in Ferté – Alais.
The last time I had the opportunity to see the Pink Lady was in the 2003 edition of the international fair of le Bourget.

Sally B, a B-17G-105-VE model with registration G-BEDF and operating with B-17 Preservation Ltd is the only B-17 in flight status in Europe and was also part of the Boeing Flying Fortress fleet operating with the IGN.
He left the Lockheed Vega factory in Burbank and was accepted by the USAAF on June 17, 1945, bearing the number 44-85784.
He was moved to the modification centre in Nashville, Tennessee for conversion into an experimental equipment test plane, for a period of 4 years.
In 1950, it was converted into an ETB-17G with infrared tracking equipment, placed in wingtip capsules to operate for more than 3 years on loan to the General Electric Flight Centre.
At the end of the contract with General Electric, the plane was taken on February 7, 1954 to the Hill Air Force Base, Utah for the disassembly of its equipment and return to the standard configuration.
At the end of these work, the B-17 was stored at the Olmstead, Middletown Air Force Base until its withdrawal from service in October of the same year after sale to the Geographic Institute on the 31st of the same month, with registration F-BGSR and used as a platform for various studies until his retirement in 1974 and sold to Messrs. Ted White and Don Bullock of Euroworld Limited.
In January 1975 he received an American N17TE registration and was transferred in March to Duxford England. He received his Cristian name Sally B, in reference to Ellinor “Elly” Sallingboe, long-time companion of Ted White. He made his first presentation in the summer of 1975 at the Biggin Hill Air Show wearing the colours of n°457 Bomber Group.
The following year, he took his English registration G-BEDF, which he is carrying up to this day.
In 1979, the company B-17 Limited was created in order to maintain and operate the B-17.
In 1982, Ted White one of the two founders of B-17 Limited dies in a plane crash while participating in an air rally in Malta.
As a tribute, the number 3 engine cowling has a yellow and black paint in the shape of a checkerboard, which was worn by its T-6 Harvard G-ELLY.
In the winter 1983-1984 he received a new Olive Drab-Neutral Grey paint and marks of n°447 Bomber Group, in order to protect the fuselage.
In 1990, he was one of six Boeing Flying Fortress that participated in the filming of the movie “Memphis Belle” being used as a replica of the true Memphis Belle.
As you can see, the right side bears the Memphis Belle mention while on the left side it as Sally B.
The G-BEDF / Sally B is the only B-17 in flight condition in Europe. From his base in Duxford, he usually participates in air shows, commemorations as a reminder of the USAAF in Europe.

Staying in Duxford another B-17, who was a fleet partner of Sally B in France, is the model B-17G-35BO 42-38133 “Reluctan Dragon” in static presentation in the American Air Museum section of the Imperial War Museum.
Actually, it is the serial number 44-83735 that in its years of operations with the IGN received the French registration F-BDRS.
He left the Douglas production line in Burbank to be delivered to USAAF on May 18, 1945. He was part of the centenary of B-17 aircraft delivered but stored due to the end of the conflict in Europe.
Even if it was sent to the 4202 BU of Syracuse (Air Support Command) on September 26, it was only for less than 2 months, being put up for sale in November 1945. A very short military career for this aircraft.
But on February 17, 1947 and with only 35 hours of flight in its logbook, it is purchased by the Transocean Airlines, an airline based in Oakland, California remembered primarily for its operations with the Boeing 377 Stratocruiser between 1958 and 1960.
Being used as an executive plane by its director Captain Nelson, this B-17G was also leased by Colonel Andres Soriano, a Philippines nationality businessman reputed to be in his time the richest man in the world.
With registration NL68269 flew for the majority of the 2 years with Transocean between San Francisco and Manila and also throughout the US.
One of his most prominent flights was a round the world trip leaving from San Francisco and making stops in Honolulu, Wake Island, Guam, Manila, Bangkok, New Delhi, Karachi, Cairo, Rome, Bordeaux, Paris, Shannon, Keflavik, Gander, New York and finally returning to its Oakland base after 6 weeks of travel.
In October 1949, Transocean put on sale the plane, which was purchased by a religious congregation called Assemblies of God Incorporated for the transportation of its members, being used until November 7, 1951 in the Pacific area.
The Leeward Aeronautical Company based in Fort Wayne, Indiana bought it and changed its registration to N68269. However, 9 months later he receives the F-BDRS one in the name of the IGN.
His first study mission is in 1953 in … Indochina when this country is in full war with France. To avoid a requisition by the French Air Force, the crew manages to escape with the B-17 and return to its home base in France.
he participate in studies in Africa and Madagascar but also in South Africa, Norway, Greenland Belgium. His last flight was dated February 2, 1972 totalling 6808 hours in his logbook.
Until May 1974 the bomber was stored in an area of the base and it was in this month that its sale was completed, together with the future Sally B, to the Euroworld company.
The two airplanes arrived in flight to Duxford and the F-BDRS was stripped of its instruments and equipment that were still in operating states and were exchanged for out-of-service ones from Sally B.
The F-BDRS was sold to the Imperial War Museum for restoration and presentation as B-17G 42-38133 “Reluctan Dragon.
The Boeing B-17G-85-VE 44-8889 F-BGSO is the last Boeing B-17 ex IGN that I had the opportunity to see. He shared his assembly in the production lines of Lockheed Vega with 44-8846 / F-BGSP, that is, the Pink Lady.
It was delivered to USAAF on January 27, 1945 and sent to Europe in February of the same year for incorporation into the 8th Air Force. It is for this fact that many sources give him war missions but it was actually stored until the end of the conflict.
It was used as an aerial photographic plane but there is no information about its return to the US being used by the 10th HBE in Oberpffaffenhofen near Munich.
There is also data on its operation with the 7499 reconnaissance squadron on secret missions near the Iron Curtain.
Finishing its assignment in Europe, he returned to the US in 1954. The project to convert it into a QB-17G radio guided missile did not materialize and with a total of a little more than 1544h, was purchased by the IGN where he arrived on 14 August 1954, initially with American registration N9642B.
Receiving his final registration F-BGSO, one of his first missions was in Africa and Algeria, he also worked in Europe, in Belgium among others with an interim registration OO-SPO and also in Germany where he could have operated with the D-EGBE registration but this data is not confirmed.
In summary, for almost 20 years this aircraft carried out studies in the African continent, Guyana, Madagascar, France, Arabia peninsula and the Mediterranean, Spain, Java in Indonesia, Saudi Arabia and Libya, Ethiopia, Ireland and also the Atlantic.
His last flight with the IGN was made on June 7, 1974 and he arrived at the Bourget Air Museum on September 8, 1979, having totalled 6534 flight hours.
The reason for his delivery to the museum was, as commented in an earlier paragraph, the error of considering his participation in war operations but also the rise in oil (let’s not forget that we are in the 70-75 years).
It was put on static exhibition on the tarmac but was the victim of theft of its instrument panel, which resulted in its storage in the museum’s hangars where it is still stored without restoration projects due to lack of space. This contradicts rumours of its destruction in a fire in 1990 or its scrapping by the IGN.
To finalize this chapter on the B-17, 13 G models and one F model were registered in the fleet records of the National Geographic Institute between 1947 and 1987. Two were victims of accidents, the first in Yaoundé on March 11, 1949 taking the life of his 5 crew members, and the second in Niamey on December 12, 1950 with 4 fatalities and 2 with serious injuries. The third accident was with the F-BEEA while participating in 1989 in the filming of the film Memphis Belle.
Five were scrapped, three others are in museums in Europe and the US and two are in flight condition the Sally B / G-BDEF in England and the Thunderbird / N900RW owned by the Lone Star Flight Museum in Houston.
As for the F-BGSP Lucky Lady or Pink Lady, its current situation is not very clear the same if it is stored in one of the hangars of Cerny-La Ferté Alais.
The same if it is not my intention to present the history of each of these aircraft, it is interesting to summarize the “route” of the F-BGOE: It is a B-17G-105-VE with serial number 44-85728 that was delivered to USAAF on May 14, 1945. In 1946, he began his civil career, first with the TWA with registration NL1B and model B-299AB for use as a passenger and cargo transport. In April 1947, he took the registration EP-HIM after its purchase by the emperor of Iran for use as an executive aircraft.
The aircraft arrived at the IGN in July 1952 and its first mission was 2 years later, in Indochina.
He stopped flying on August 22, 1967 and was scrapped with a total of only 3644 hours.

Another aircraft that marked its presence and especially its participation in aerial survey operations with the Geographic Institute was the Hurel-Dubois HD-34.
Hurel-Dubois built eight HD-34 models and the IGN operated these aircraft specially adapted for its operations between 1957 and 1986.
Five were scrapped, one was given to the Creil Air Club, another was delivered to the Air Museum in Paris le Bourget and the last one was sold on May 6, 1986 to the Association of Aircraft Mechanics and Pilots but with the rise of Insurance and fuel, this stopped flying as of June 2003.

The HD-34 project is the final result of the studies made by Maurice Hurel and Joseph Dubois, the first being a specialist in the concept of wings with great elongation, that is a narrow but long wing. They checked the design with a prototype called HD-10 that flew for the first time in 1948.
Then, the Hurel-Dubois Company built 2 HD-32 with Pratt & Whitney R-1830-3 engines of 1200 horsepower and fixed landing.
In 1957, the IGN made the order for eight HD-34, an aerial photography and mapping version with Wright Cyclone 982-C9-HE2 engines of 1525 horsepower.
The design offered great flight stability and autonomy of up to 12 hours of flight, a contribution for aerial work performed by the Institute throughout the world.
Upon their withdrawal from service in 1986, they were replaced by two Dassault Mystère 20 and 4 Beech Super King Air 200.
During my 1985 visit, the opportunity was also presented to me to visit one of these aircraft.
It was the F-BHOO, the first of the 8 built HD-34 models that arrived at the IGN base on April 17, 1958.
His missions took him to Benin, West and North Africa, Kuwait, Libya, Equatorial Africa the Antilles, Guyana, Egypt, Somalia, France, Congo Brazzaville, Central African Republic, Zaire until his retirement and sale in May 1986 to the Association of mechanics and pilots of old aircraft with which he participate in several air shows, until this final withdrawal in June 2003.
A particularity of this aircraft was its engine powers controls, mixtures and propeller very different from those we usually find in airplanes with alternative engines.
Actually and almost as we have it on certain Cessna or Piper type training aircraft, these controls move forward or backward instead of a bottom-up curve as you can see in the following pictures.

The second Hurel-Dubois that I could photograph was the F-BICR, the No. 4 in the production line of these aircraft.
It was put into service by the IGN on March 17, 1958 and also participated in several operations in Africa but also in Egypt, Beirut in Lebanon as well as the French territory.
It is precisely in one of his missions, to Egypt in 1964, that he participated in a project of filming the Aswan Dam and the project of saving the site of the temple of Abou-Simbel before its displacement and restoration.
In 1973, he carried out his last work missions in Mediterranean and Morocco and on June 22, 1978 he arrived in flight to the Air Museum in Le Bourget. It totalled 4898 flight hours.

Michel Anciaux

Bibliography
In addition to having been able to count on the information from the following sources, I wishes to highlight particularly the research work carried out by flyingfortress.canalblog.com, allowing me to deliver the data corresponding to the airplanes presented in this report.

wikipedia.org
b-17-flying-fortress.com
flyingfortress.canalblog.com
avions-de-la-guerre-d-algerie.over-blog.com
aerobuzz.fr/aviation-generale
Forteresse Toujours Volante
halfpint.canalblog.com
michaelmonfront.com
anciens-aerodromes.com
airbil.com
lecharpeblanche.fr
flyingfortress.canalblog.com
b17flyingfortress.d
flyinglegends.com
sallyb.org.uk
vernoeil.com/HUREL_DUBOIS_HD-34_DE_CREIL.html
ampaa.fr/les-avions-de-lampaa/hurel-dubois-34/
http://www.warbirdregistry.org/
deltareflex.com

Home


http://aviation-le-havre.over-blog.com/

Responder

Introduce tus datos o haz clic en un icono para iniciar sesión:

Logo de WordPress.com

Estás comentando usando tu cuenta de WordPress.com. Cerrar sesión /  Cambiar )

Google photo

Estás comentando usando tu cuenta de Google. Cerrar sesión /  Cambiar )

Imagen de Twitter

Estás comentando usando tu cuenta de Twitter. Cerrar sesión /  Cambiar )

Foto de Facebook

Estás comentando usando tu cuenta de Facebook. Cerrar sesión /  Cambiar )

Conectando a %s